During the last few months I constantly ran into problems with MySQL which drove me crazy and I finally decided to use PostgreSQL for all new projects. Today I figured out what was going on:
On my development machine I have MySQL version 5.1.61 installed. Recent Webfaction servers however ship with MySQL version 5.5.16. I think, the newer version creates new tables with the much better engine InnoDB while my older version defaults to MyISAM.
I was developing a big Django project in a highly agile way during the last few months and my workflow looked roughly like this:
This means for the last few months my customer and me were testing the app with testdata only (which looked very close to the real data anyways). However, this month the app matured enough so that I stopped importing my local database into the Webfaction server. From now on I would create South migrations and deploy them as usual.
Yesterday I created a new app within the project. The model of that app had a foreign key to a model of one of the older apps. I'm sure you already know what comes now: Because I used to import my local database into the Webfaction server for many months, all tables had the old MyISAM engine. When I deployed my latest feature last night and ran the South migrations everything worked fine but when I tested the app in a browser, I got the foreign key constraint error or death.
So I imported the server's datbase locally and asked some stupid questions in
the #mysql channel. A friendly user named
salle answered within a second
and I learned about a cool SQL command which I never needed before:
SHOW TABLE STATUS;
This shows, among many other informatoin, which engine each of your tables has and at the first glance I could see that the newly created tables that came with the South migration on the server had a different engine than all the rest.
Another stupid question later I learned that I can convert the tables to the other engine by simply executing:
ALTER TABLE <tablename> ENGINE=<engine name>;
So I converted all MyISAM tables into InnoDB tables and all was good. I should definitely update my local MySQL installation...